Updated: Thursday, 21st November 2019 @ 5:16pm

They’ll struggle again: Roberto Mancini says Manchester City face another tough campaign in Europe

They’ll struggle again: Roberto Mancini says Manchester City face another tough campaign in Europe

By John McDougall

Ex-Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini believes his former club will again struggle to make any headway in the Champions League next season.

Despite winning the FA Cup and Premier League under Mancini’s rule, City went out of the Champions League at the group stage for two consecutive seasons.

And the Italian feels having lost controversial strikers Mario Balotelli and Carlos Tevez, the Etihad Stadium outfit will lack the firepower to make an impact in Europe.   

“I would say City are a bit like Juventus. They are growing but are still a bit behind the big European clubs,” he told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“To win the Champions League you need experience and the right squad. There aren’t many games, so if you get two wrong then you’re out of the running.

“In the Champions League last year, we had the toughest group. Now they have lost two important players in Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli.”

In last season’s Champions League City finished bottom of their group and failed to win a game against Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Spanish giants Real Madrid.

Mancini was sacked following a trophyless season with the Citizens last campaign, losing the Premier League title by 11 points to bitter rivals Manchester United.  

His replacement, Chilean boss Manuel Pellegrini, has so far brought in Spanish winger Jesus Navas and Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho for a combined fee of around £50million.

Image courtesy of BBC, via YouTube, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.