Updated: Monday, 19th August 2019 @ 10:17am

Manuel Pellegrini wanted to take me with him to Manchester City, claims Malaga's Wilfredo Caballero

Manuel Pellegrini wanted to take me with him to Manchester City, claims Malaga's Wilfredo Caballero

By Tim Hyde

Argentine shot-stopper Wilfredo Caballero claims he was a serious summer transfer target for new Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini.

Malaga’s number one says City’s new boss was in advanced conversations about bringing him to the Etihad.

The duo worked together in Andalucia before Pellegrini took the reins at City and the Chilean was keen to reunite himself with the keeper.

Caballero told The Sun: “I talked with Manuel Pellegrini before he left Malaga.

“I knew of his intention to take me with him to Manchester City. But I was unsure whether he would stick with the same keepers he had already.”

The 31-year-old keeper was in impressive form for Pellegrini’s Malaga side last season as he produced countless inspired performances ensuring they reached the Champions League quarter finals.

With England and City number one Joe Hart struggling for form of late, Pellegrini may consider another dip into his frighteningly deep pockets to acquire the talents of his former number one in January.

Although at the beginning of this season the 6ft 1in goalkeeper signed a new deal to stay at the club until 2017.

At present Costel Pantilimon remains the only competition for Hart at club-level, while third choice stopper Richard Wright is yet to make an appearance for the Blues.

The England number one has already come under pressure this season after a questionable performance in his side’s 3-2 defeat at newly promoted Cardiff City.

Hart has also made costly errors on the international stage diving past a mediocre shot from James Morrison in a recent clash against home nation Scotland. 

However team-mates on a club and country level believe Hart will return to his sensational form of 2011/12 where he was the best keeper in the Premier League.

Picture courtesy of Mess, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.