Updated: Friday, 5th June 2020 @ 4:07pm

'The end of it': Roberto Martinez quashes rumours of Manchester United second bid for Leighton Baines

'The end of it': Roberto Martinez quashes rumours of Manchester United second bid for Leighton Baines

By Marios Papaloizou

Contrary to recent speculation Manchester United have not approached Everton with a second bid for left-back Leighton Baines, according to the Toffees’ new manager Roberto Martinez.

The Reds made a formal offer to Everton for the player earlier in the summer but, according to Martinez, no further contact has been made.

Baines was a favourite of new United boss David Moyes during his time at Everton and speculation has suggested that Baines would follow Moyes to Old Trafford.

However, Martinez has stepped in and quashed the recent rumours.

“Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer and it was a final offer,” he told the Liverpool Echo.

“They put something over and the valuation wasn’t anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines.

“That was the end of it but since then there’s been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is.”

While United are reportedly considering a move for the left-back’s team-mate Marouane Fellaini, Martinez insisted that no further bids have been tabled for Baines.

“There’s never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then we’ve moved on and we’re continuing to focus on the start of the season,” Martinez said.

“When you’ve got an ex-manager who has first-hand information you’re going to get that speculation in the media, but the reality is that there has been nothing apart from the contact really early in the season.”

Image courtesy of FA TV via YouTube with thanks

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.