Updated: Monday, 3rd August 2020 @ 11:52pm

High court rejects ex-HR boss' £200K bullying claim against The Christie

High court rejects ex-HR boss' £200K bullying claim against The Christie

| By Ross Kelsall

The Christie's ex-HR boss has had her bullying case against the cancer hospital dismissed by a judge today.

The high profile personal injury claim lodged by a former Associate Director of HR against The Christie was dismissed by a Liverpool High Court.

Tracey Boylin, 49, claimed she was harassed over two months at the cancer specialist center and at one point even imprisoned in a room by an external consultant.

However a spokesperson for The Christie said that they were ‘delighted’ with the ruling following very serious and unfounded allegations of bullying and harassment. 

“This has been a longstanding issue for the Trust and has inevitably caused anxiety for both our patients and staff,” said the spokesperson. 

“The ruling judge recognised that the actions taken by the Trust were entirely appropriate. Furthermore the judge commented that the Trust acted with exemplary speed and resolve. 

“Despite being the subject of significant scrutiny over recent months, both the Trust’s and charity’s activities continue to be delivered to the very highest standards. 

“Patients are, and always will be our priority, and we remain committed to providing the very best standards of care and treatment in a world class cancer center.”

The Christie is the largest cancer centre in Europe, treating 40,000 patients a year, and is based in Withington with radiotherapy centres in Oldham and Salford. 

In the court papers lodged by Ms Boylin she claimed £300,000 worth of damages after accusing the Trust of failing to react to damaging behaviour by an external consultant.

Christine Pilgrem was reviewing the executive team and Boylin alleged that she was accused of being labelled ‘pathetic and weak’ when feeling unwell and in need of sickness absence.

Boylin also claimed that Ms Pilgrem, who was acting as her line manager, told her to seek alternative employment because the executive team did not support her.

Of a meeting in between the two in November 2010 Ms Boylin said that Ms Pilgrem threatened to ruin her career if she did not fall in line.

According to the court claim Pilgrem said: “I will ensure you never work again in Manchester as I can make your name mud. 

“I can have you off the premises and persuade Caroline Shaw (chief executive) to have an interim on the site tomorrow, so you had better play ball.”

Ms Boylin that alleged that she tried to leave the room but was unable to as Ms Pilgrem blocked the door and refused to let her leave. 

The ruling has come at an important time for The Christie as former chief executive Ms Shaw resigned from her position last week.

She has been the subject of investigation after allegations claimed that she used NHS finances to pay for a trip to Ibiza. 

Image courtesy of TECU Consulting UK, with thanks.