Updated: Saturday, 22nd February 2020 @ 5:50am

Bolton mum sets fire to herself in front of three kids in freak accident

Bolton mum sets fire to herself in front of three kids in freak accident

| By Jack Howson

Three youngsters watched on terrified as their mum was set alight in a freak accident at a Bolton home last night.

The 40-year-old woman was bending down to pick up a tablet when her t-shirt caught fire on a living flame type gas fire shortly after 9.45pm.

Specially trained fire service trauma technicians initially treated her at the house on Oldstead Grove, with the woman later transferred to Royal Bolton Hospital.

Watch Manager Ian Read from Bolton Central Fire Station said: “It looks as though the woman was bending down between a coffee table in the lounge and the fire and her t-shirt caught fire. She has burned her back quite badly and also her hands where she has tried to get it off.

“There were three children there and they were very upset to see this. People really need to remember these are open, naked flames just the same as with any fire and you have to be very careful.”

Mr Read urged the public to exercise caution with open fires.

“There is a big message here," he said. "Make sure you have a fireguard on any open fire. Make sure you are aware of your proximity to the fire. Wearing loose clothing near an open fire is dangerous.

“People need to think about things like mirrors over the fire where you might be looking in and your clothing will catch fire. It’s really important to think about these things.”

Further advice on fire safety at home can be found on the GMFRS website, while a free Home Safety Check can be organised over the phone on 0800 555 815. 

Image courtesy of John Thurm, with thanks