Updated: Thursday, 9th July 2020 @ 8:21am

VIDEO: Jail for Manchester bar thug who left mum with such severe facial injuries she can't work again

VIDEO: Jail for Manchester bar thug who left mum with such severe facial injuries she can't work again

| By Kenny Lomas

A thug has been jailed for a despicable attack on a mother and daughter in a Manchester bar that left the mum with facial injuries so devastating she can no longer work.

Gareth David Kevin Ward 21, from Bowness Rd, Middleton,  punched a woman, 52, so hard he fractured her cheek.

The  violent and unprovoked attack at Lammars Bar on Hilton Street, Manchester in the early hours of Sunday, September 29, 2013.

In a personal statement, the woman, who has suffered lasting nerve damage and has had to give up work because of her injury, said: "I've not been to Manchester city centre since the attack and feel nervous in crowded places.

"The attack has changed my personality and lifestyle completely. I am angry that he (Ward) would hit a female of my petite size with so much force.

"I fell lucky that I wasn't killed."

On the night of the attack, Ward and seven other men entered the bar in Manchester's Northern Quarter, where the victims were already enjoying a night out.

At around 1.50am a scuffle broke out between the group of men and two women. One of the men threw a drink into the face of a 19-year-old woman.

Her mother told the men to 'back off', which sparked Ward to launch a sickening attack, punching the defenceless with such force that he fractured her cheek and knocked her daughter to the floor at the same time.

He then punched the 52-year-old victim a second time, before kicking her to the body. He was then dragged away by one of the other men.

The mother's white dress was left drenched in her own blood. As Ward was escorted away by door staff he ended his despicable attack by spitting in the face of an unknown woman.

As part of the investigation police are continuing to appeal for information as to the whereabouts of Garth Ward's father, also called Gareth Ward, who is wanted in connection with the incident and is believed to be abroad.

Detective Constable Adam Cronshaw said: "Gareth Ward, using as much force as he could muster, punched a petite 52-year-old woman, causing devastating injuries to her face.

"Her dress was drenched in her own blood and she still suffers from recurring pain as a direct result of this attack.

WANTED: Ward's father, Garth Ward, is believed to be out of the country

"This victim feels lucky to be alive. As she outlined in her victim personal statement, people can lose their life as a result of just one punch.

"Ward's cowardly behaviour caused public outrage at the time when a press appeal was launched in a bid to identify the person responsible from CCTV.

"We received numerous calls identifying Ward (junior) which we were able to swiftly act upon. This shows that the community who know him are not prepared to put up with his thuggish behaviour."

Ward admitted a Section 47 Assault at an earlier hearing and was today, Friday, July 25, and sentenced to 12 months in prison