Veteran North West broadcaster Stuart Hall faces jail after today pleading guilty to indecently assaulting 13 girls – the youngest aged just nine.
Despite previously publicly denying any wrongdoing, Hall entered guilty pleas at Preston Crown Court last month, but this can only now be revealed after reporting restrictions were lifted.
The sex offences relating to the 83-year-old are said to have taken place between 1967 and 1986.
He molested the nine-year-old victim in the 1980s by putting his hands up her clothing, and in the 1970s he fondled the breast of a girl ages 16 or 17.
On another occasion he told a 13-year-old girl ‘people need to show thanks in other ways’ as he kissed her on the lips.
Hall was described as an ‘opportunistic predator’ outside court today by chief crown prosecutor for the North West, Nazir Afzal.
He said: “We prosecuted Stuart Hall because the evidence from the victims clearly established a pattern of behaviour that was unlawful and for which no innocent explanation could be offered.
“His victims did not know each other and almost two decades separated the first and last assaults but almost all of the victims, including one who was just nine at the time of the assault, provided strikingly similar accounts.
“Whether in public or private, Hall would first approach under friendly pretences and then bide his time until the victim was isolated.”
Hall used to present It’s A Knockout as well as North West Tonight and was well-known for his verbose interviews during his time as a Radio 5 Live football commentor.
Representing Hall, Crispin Aylett Qs said: “The defendant is of course sorry for what he has done. Through me he wishes to apologise to his victims.
“He is not a man easily moved to self pity but he is only too aware his disgrace is complete.”
Hall was granted bail until his sentencing date on June 17 and was told by the judge that all sentencing options remain open – including immediate custody.
Image courtesy of BBC via YouTube, with thanks.