Sweet or volty? Popcorn machine electrocutes two Didsbury Cineworld staff

Popcorn prices have been causing cinema-goers eyes to water even before they get in front of the screen for years – but two bags just cost Cineworld in Didsbury a whopping £12,000.

Two staff members of the Parrs Wood Cineworld received electric shocks while using the faulty popcorn machine in the same day – costing the cinema £12,193.29.

The faulty machine electrocuted its first victim in the morning of December 4 2013.

Managers did not take the appliance out of use and failed to place warning signs on the machine to ensure it was not used by more staff.

Later that evening a second employee was electrocuted when turning off the machine.

Although neither of the employees suffered major injuries, the consequences of this carelessness could have been much more severe if not fatal.

Cineworld were fined £9,500 with £2,573.29 costs and £120 victims of crime surcharge as a result of an investigation, which has been carried out by Manchester City Council.

At the Manchester Magistrates’ Court hearing yesterday, Cineworld Cinemas Limited pleaded guilty to two charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Councillor Kate Chappell, Manchester City Council’s Executive Member for Environment, said: “We take the safety of employees extremely seriously- people have a right to work in a safe environment and this company potentially put lives at risk.

“It is imperative that businesses follow health and safety guidelines. On this occasion both employees were lucky not to have suffered serious injury but the outcome could have been much worse.”

Image courtesy of Till Westermayer, with thanks.

Related Articles