Salford driver’s brain ‘exploded’ under 17-tonne lorry in horrific road rage incident, court hears

An angry Oldham trucker deliberately used his 17-tonne lorry to crush a Salford motorist to death after they became embroiled in a road rage row, a murder trial was told yesterday.

Mark Slater, 46, moved into gear and drove over 56-year-old Trevor Allen as the older man got out of his Citroen Berlingo to remonstrate with him in the street, it was claimed.

Horrified eyewitnesses saw Mr Allen’s head ‘explode’ and could hear bones breaking as the grandfather was dragged under the wheels of Slater’s DAF articulated lorry, a jury heard.

As the motorist lay dead in the road, Slater told a 999 operator : “Hiya love – there’s a man seriously injured.” He later claimed:  “He was throwing things at my lorry. He was just throwing things at my lorry and it all started down at the lights.”

The tragedy occurred at 8am on April 15 this year on the A57 near Warrington, Cheshire.  Chester Crown Court was told the pair had got into an argument which culminated in the them overtaking each other before Mr Allen pulling up in front of Slater’s lorry and stopping in the road.

Mr Allen, from Swinton, near Salford, who weighed 16 stone and was said to be ‘well nourished’ was wearing a high visibility jacket. He got out of his vehicle and began walking towards Slater’s truck which stopped behind him, it was said.

Michael Taylor, an eyewitness to the incident, was travelling on the opposite side of the road when he saw Mr Allen’s red Citroen Berlingo van and the lorry stationary – with its hazard lights on.

Mr Taylor said Slater must have momentarily stepped out of the cab of his truck as he saw him getting back inside.

Mr Ian Unsworth QC prosecuting said: “Just after seeing the defendant get into his cabin Mr Taylor saw Trevor Allen’s vehicle slowly pulling out from behind the defendant’s lorry and then come to a rest a short distance in front of the lorry.

“He then saw Trevor Allen walk towards the lorry. He noticed that he was walking at a normal pace and that he was wearing a high-visibility top – it stood out to him.

“As he neared the lorry, Mr Taylor saw that it now had its hazard lights off and began to move forwards. Trevor Allen held his hands up. The lorry did not stop. It simply hit Trevor Allen.

“He was dragged under the lorry with his head to the area of the front driver’s side wheel. Mr Taylor saw Mr Allen’s body being thrown out from under the wheels. He told police that he did not see his body move again. It was in his words ‘mangled’. He could not see a head.”

Another witness Kamil Miskiewicz was driving a refuse van and described seeing the lorry overtake Mr Allen’s car before coming to a stop. Mr Allen’s Berlingo then overtook the lorry and stopped in front of it.

He said both men got out of their vehicles and spoke for a few seconds and then described Mr Allen standing in front of the lorry with his arms out wide.

Mr Unsworth said: “Kamil Miskiewicz saw the driver, who appeared to be angry, gripping the wheel and he then saw the lorry move forwards. He also saw Trevor Allen’s head explode and seeing his body twist as it got dragged beneath the vehicle. He could hear his bones being broken. The lorry continued to move forward.”

Simon Feltham, the third eye-witness, was also driving on the opposite side of the road behind the refuse lorry where he claimed to see Mr Allen’s car perform a fast overtaking manoeuvre on the lorry before coming to a stop.

As both vehicles were stopped on what he described as an ‘inappropriate’ part of the road, he continued to watch and saw Slater’s door open where he was gesticulating.  He did not see Slater get out but saw the lorry move forward with the cab ‘bouncing up and down’. It came to a stop alongside his vehicle.

Mr Feltham then rang 999 saying: “The gentleman is lying in the road. It’s looking like a lorry coming down one way and a car, a bit of road rage. I’m not sure exactly what happened but he is lying still in the road.”

Slater then spoke to the operator and the jury were shown a transcript of their conversation which read:

Slater: “Hiya love, we’re on the A57, the Irlam Road. There’s a man seriously injured.”

Operator: “Has he been hit by a vehicle?”

S: “Yeah, by my vehicle.”

O: “By your vehicle? Was he in the road was he?”

S: “He was yeah.”

O: “Okay, so he’s not in another vehicle?”

S: “He is. He was in another vehicle but he was out of it.”

Mr Allen died instantly from his catastrophic head injuries.

Mr Unsworth said:  “Having stopped his vehicle in front of a lorry driven by the defendant, Mr Allen came to be standing in front of the lorry. He was also wearing a high visibility jacket. It would have been obvious to the defendant that Mr Allen was in the way.

“Notwithstanding that, and in all likelihood because the defendant was angry, he simply drove over Mr Allen. Mr Allen’s head was crushed. His brain exploded from his head. He died instantly of multiple and catastrophic injuries.

“The case for the prosecution is that the defendant murdered Mr Allen. It is a matter of common sense that the defendant at the wheel of his very large, very heavy lorry must at least have intended to cause very serious injury.

“Whatever had happened between the two men, you may think nothing justifies the defendant’s behaviour in the way that he did.”

Slater, from Oldham, Greater Manchester was arrested at the scene and charged with murder the following day.

In interview, he maintained that Mr Allen had been throwing coins at him and then told police that as the car had overtaken him and stopped he shouted at Mr Allen. He said his reply was ‘I’m going to fucking have you.’

Mr Unsworth added: “The defendant stated that he saw the car door open a little and then he said that ‘he jumped out of his car. I saw the car door opening so I knocked my handbrake off and started to go round the car. And I went round the car. I couldn’t see him, the actual bloke himself. I think I saw the top of his head as his car door opened’.”

Analysis of the lorry’s tachograph suggested the truck had been stationary for nine seconds in the moments before the fatal incident.

Slater denies murder. The trial continues.

Story via Cavendish Press

Image courtesy of Sludge G and Google Maps with thanks

Related Articles