Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis could be facing a fresh trial after his original case was referred to the Attorney General’s on the grounds that it is ‘unduly lenient’.
The move comes after fellow BBC veteran Stuart Hall saw his jail sentence doubled following a similar referral.
The 69-year-old walked free from court on Friday with a three-month suspended term despite being convicted of groping a 22-year-old woman during the making of the BBC’s Mrs Merton Show in Manchester in 1995.
Travis was found guilty by a majority of ten to two at London’s Southwark Crown Court earlier this month but was cleared on a second indecent assault charge.
During the trial, Travis’s victim told the court that he got a ‘weird sexual thrill’ as he indecently assaulted her on January 17 1995.
She said Travis approached her in the corridor of a BBC television studio and squeezed her breasts for around 10-15 seconds.
The woman, who was working as part of the production crew in Manchester, said she ‘froze’ as she was pinned against the wall by Travis.
She said she found the assault ‘unbelievably weird’ and Travis had an ‘intense stare’ during the incident.
Travis was cleared of 12 counts of indecent assault at his original trial in February after he was initially arrested in October 2012 under Operation Yewtree – which was set up in the wake of an investigation into historic sexual abuse after allegations against the late DJ Jimmy Savile came out.
Travis also faced a retrial on two counts which the jury was unable to reach verdicts on.
The DJ was born in Buxton and his family moved to Manchester where he attended Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys before starting his career in the city.
He became a household name in the 70’s working on Radio 1 and hosting Top of the Pops.
Image courtesy of Press Association via YouTube with thanks