Non-league matters: FC United fall victim to weather again as Curzon Ashton continue fine form

By Arandeep Singh Dhillon and Tom Paterson

Shocking conditions at Stainton Park caused FC United’s FA Trophy first qualifying round replay against Witton Albion to be abandoned after 75 minutes.

The fixture has already faced two postponements and an abandonment as weather again was the winner.

After 75 minutes the match was tied 2-2 before the referee had to call an end to it after lightning and flooding.

Karl Marginson’s men will now have to replay the match tomorrow at Gigg Lane.

Trafford and Mossley both exited the competition after 2-0 defeats away to Gressley FC and Northwich Victoria respectively.

However, there was joy for John Flanagan as his Curzon Ashton side thumped hosts Kidsgrove Athletic to progress.

Goals from Christopher Rowney, Matthew Warburton and a late double from Ryan Brooke ensured victory.

Ashton United’s inconsistent form continued as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Kings Lynn Town despite Kayde Coppin’s opener in the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

Salford City also took the lead in their Northern Premier Division fixture through Mark Battersby but were sunk by three Bamber Bridge goals.

In the Skrill Premier Hyde avoided defeat against Nuneaton Town, managing a 2-2 draw at Ewen Fields.

Scott McNiven was full of praise for his players in a game where he felt they should’ve taken all three points after taking the lead in injury time only for Nuneaton to equalise.

“The boys were fantastic today, best team by a mile, we played some great stuff created a lot of chances. We should’ve won by three or four and that’s the only disappointing thing but it gives us that building block to go on,” he said.

Alan Lord’s Stockport got back to winning ways with a 4- 2 victory over Telford at Edgeley Park in the Skrill North.

Goals from Rhys Turner, Keiran Charnock, James Tunicliffe and Kristian Dennis brought an end to a barren run of form and gave Lord something to smile about.

“I was really pleased with them. I was pleased with the first half and I didn’t have a lot to say at half time apart from fouls and the second balls we failed to win.

I said last week and this week that we’ve got a side with a lot of potential and a lot of promise and all we need to do is tidy the little things up and if we do that we’ll be a better team,” said Lord.

Altrincham  suffered a setback as they went down 3-1 to league leaders Hednesford Town at Moss Lane.

Image courtesy of Iain lees, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles