Altrincham stage stunning fightback against Guiseley as Stockport boss ’emotional’ over Worcester win

By Arandeep Singh Dhillon & Tom Paterson

Altrincham were back to their winning form on Saturday putting their cup exit behind them with a brilliant comeback to beat Guiseley 4-1 at Moss Lane.

After a poor first half, Lee Sinnott’s men looked to be heading for another defeat but a James Walshaw hat-trick and a header from Damien Reeves completed a superb comeback.

The win took them back into third place with 23 points and they are now only two points behind leaders Hednesford Town.

Hyde’s woes continued as they were beaten 3-0 by Braintree Town at Ewen Fields, making it their sixth straight league defeat.

The home side had started the brighter but went behind totally against the run of play with Charlie Strutton beating their keeper after a poor back pass from Will Haining.

Strutton struck his second on 56 minutes and Jordan Cox compiled Hyde’s misery after 66 minutes.

Stockport continued where they left off in the FA Cup with a thumping 4-0 win over Worcester City at Edgeley Park.

A Phil Jevons brace completed the scoring for Alan Lord’s men who had accepted the permanent job until the end of the season.

Speaking on his appointment, Lord said: “I’m very pleased and very proud, I get a bit emotional with stuff like this but it’s been a really good experience for me over the past four or five weeks.”

On his handling of the team he said: “I’ve had a bit of criticism for trying to get clean sheets but I wanted to build some blocks, to lay some foundations to build on and to be honest I think the fruits of that were born today with some of the performances.”

Stockport who are now up to 15th place, are away at Barrow in their next game with Lord determined to go there with all the ‘ammunition’ to secure another three points.

In Saturday’s Evo-Stik Premier Division fixtures, Droylsden’s woes went from bad to worse after being outclassed at home to Matlock Town.

Two Daryll Thomas penalties put the visitors two up before Dylan Maloney replied, with Corey Gregory and Daniel Holland finishing off the rout.

The club now sit bottom of the table with just two points and a minus-40 goal difference.

FC United of Manchester got back to winning ways after four straight losses with a 1-0 victory against Marine at Bower Fold.

Greg Daniels produced the only goal of the game in the 58th minute in front of a 1,528 attendance in Manchester.

Garry Vaughan and Steve Halford will both be disappointed after their sides both suffered 2-1 defeats.

Vaughan’s Trafford side were beaten 2-1 at Grantham Town after Rhys Lewis’ winner, while Kristian Ramsey-Dickinson scored to put Rushall level on points with Ashton.

In the FA Trophy preliminary round, Curzon Ashton kept up their great start in the league and cup competitions after a 3-1 victory away to Ossett Albion.

John Flanagan’s men again looked in fine form and saw Christopher Rowney, Christopher Young and Mark Bett get on the score sheet.

Salford City failed to progress after a 3-1 defeat away to Northwich Victoria.

Two for Gary Burnett and a Dale Wright goal in-between put the Vics 3-0 up before Eder Ruiz provided a last-minute consolation for the visitors.

Picture courtesy of Iain Lees, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles