REPORT: Sergio Aguero goal fires Manchester City to victory against United at Old Trafford

By Colin Henrys

Manchester United 1 – 2 Manchester City

Manchester United’s title celebrations were put on hold as Sergio Aguero’s strike gave City victory in the derby at Old Trafford to cut the Reds’ Premier League lead to 12 points.

James Milner’s deflected strike gave City the lead but captain Vincent Kompany’s unfortunate own goal levelled the scores before Aguero’s winner.

City started brightly with Milner – in for Edin Dzeko – forcing David De Gea to punch clear his low cross on four minutes with Carlos Tevez waiting to tap in.

A minute late Gael Clichy surged forward from left-back but sliced his shot well wide from the edge of the area.

United had Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney back up front and the two combined on nine minutes when the Dutchman’s left-footed shot flashed wide.

Midway through the half van Persie was involved again when his shot from distance looped off Pablo Zabaleta’s foot and Ryan Giggs headed the rebound over.

City continued to dominate the possession however, and Samir Nasri sliced wide on 26 minutes before Milner shot straight at De Gea moments later after a one-two with Silva.

As the game became scrappier however Rooney was perhaps fortunate to only be booked just past the half-hour after what appeared to be a two-footed challenge on Milner.

United went closest to breaking the deadlock on the stroke of half-time when Rafael met van Persie’s header down but hit the outside of the post with a powerful strike.

City were in front six minutes after the restart through Milner’s deflected strike from the edge of the area after Gareth Barry caught Giggs in possession to launch the attack.

The Reds were level eight minutes later though when Phil Jones’ header went in off the back of Kompany after van Persie’s whipped free-kick.

Both sides pushed for a second and Danny Welbeck forced Hart to save on 70 minutes when he met Ashley Young’s cross with a glancing header.

A minute later Nasri got in behind the defence from Silva’s pass but could not control his attempted volley on the turn.

Nasri was replaced by Aguero moments later and the Argentine outmuscled three United defenders and fired into the top corner to restore City’s lead on 78 minutes.

Van Persie and Jones both went close with headers as United searched for an equaliser but City held on to prepare for Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in perfect style.

Image courtesy of Sky Sports, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles