Non-league Matters: Stockport County go down fighting…but only the fans, as club relegated

By Matt Davies

Stockport County crashed out of the Blue Square Bet Premier in a match marred by crowd trouble after Kidderminster Harriers opened the scoring.

The Hatters lost 4-0 and Ian Ormson saved a penalty although it was in vain anyway as results elsewhere meant County were always dropping into the BSB North.

Play was suspended for 25 minutes after some travelling fans entered the field when Anthony Malbon put the home side in front, with one punching Harrier Lee Vaughan.

With a lack of police inside Aggborough, referee Michael Bull led the players from the field until order was restored.

Vaughan blasted the small minority of Stockport fans that caused the trouble and labelled the individual who attacked him as a ‘disgrace’.

“I pulled one of the Stockport players away and a lad has come and hit me from behind,” Vaughan told BBC Hereford and Worcester. “If I am being totally honest, those fans are an absolute disgrace.

“I am glad they are going down and I hope they go down again. My son was here today and he had to witness that.

“Coming on to the pitch and assaulting somebody oversteps the mark and when my kids and family are here, it is not nice.”

West Murcia Police made a number of arrests during the game following the incident.

Elsewhere, Hyde finished their debut campaign in the premier division with a 5-1 defeat to Lincoln City, with Luke Ashworth netting a consolation for the Tigers.

Scott McNiven’s side ended the season in 18th place and – unlike County – can look forward to BSB Premier football next season.

Altrincham guaranteed a play-off place in the BSB North after demolishing already relegated Hinckley United 6-0 at De Montford Park.

Damian Reeves notched his 41st goal of the season before half time before Gianluca Havern, Carl Rodgers, Duncan Wamore and Ryan Brooke’s double secured the points.

Reeves also missed the Robins tenth penalty of the season in the second half but Lee Sinnott’s side can no longer be caught in the race for a play-off place.

Instead, they now battle Halifax Town for fourth spot, and the two sides meet at Moss Lane on Tuesday evening.

Elsewhere, Stalybridge Celtic held Harrogate Town to a goalless draw while Droylsden went down 3-1 to Oxford City despite Luke Gallagher giving the Bloods the lead.

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, FC United of Manchester all but guaranteed a play-off spot as Matthew Wolfenden’s second-half strike secured a narrow win over Worksop Town.

Ashton United left Victoria Park with a point after Christopher Baguley’s opener was cancelled out by Magpies forward Darren Stephenson.

In Division One North,Ramsbottom United showed their quality with a 4-0 win over Mossley at Seel Park while New Mills also hit four against Harrogate Railway Athletic.

Curzon Ashton were pegged back by a late Clitheroe leveller as their play-offs hopes suffered a blow, while Trafford also suffered a setback by losing at home to Prescot Cables.

Salford City and Radcliffe Borough played out a 1-1 draw at Moor Lane.

Image courtesy of Ricard16, via WikiCommons, with thanks

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles