Manchester United’s second joint bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines has been rejected by Everton – despite upping it to £36million.
This bid follows a previous offer for the pair, believed to be around £28million, which was rejected out of hand last week.
It is believed that the Merseyside club are holding out for £50million for the pair as they see United as desperate to make a major signing before the transfer window shuts on Tuesday.
It had been reported that both players have asked to leave Goodison Park, however, new manager Roberto Martinez moved quickly to dispel the rumours earlier this week.
Asked if either player had requested a move, Martinez said: “No. The two players [Baines and Fellaini] have been true professionals and that is what I want.”
However, it does appear that Everton are making contingency plans.
“The way you work in the transfer market is to always think about the unthinkable,” said Martinez.
“You always have to work in a way which means that if the worst was to happen, and you picked up one or two injuries, you need to replace players.”
Fellaini is Everton’s record signing after they forked out an initial fee of £15million to secure him from Standard Liege in 2008
He scored an injury time winner against Stevenage on Wednesday night in the Capital One Cup.
The 25-year old Belgian midfielder was the Toffee’s top scorer last season and has amassed 42 international caps.
England international left-back Baines arrived from Wigan in 2007 and has become an integral part of the Everton team, creating almost a quarter of chances created last season.
United’s previous bid was described as “despicable behaviour” by former Blues goalkeeper Neville Southall.
Picture courtesy of Nick via Wiki Commons, with thanks.