Updated: Thursday, 2nd April 2020 @ 8:03pm

Woolwich murder: Suspect discharged from hospital and due to be questioned over killing of Middleton’s Lee Rigby

Woolwich murder: Suspect discharged from hospital and due to be questioned over killing of Middleton’s Lee Rigby

By Glen Keogh

One of the men accused of the murder of Middleton soldier Drummer Lee Rigby is due to be questioned by police after he was discharged from hospital.

Nigerian-born Michael Adebowale, 22, was shot by police after the horrific broad daylight machete murder on a Woolwich, south-east London, street.

He is said to have charged towards armed officers in the aftermath of Drummer Rigby’s death, but was discharged from hospital on Tuesday and is now in police custody.

The second murder suspect, 28-year-old Michael Adebolajo, remains in hospital under police guard.

Relatives of Adebolajo’s family have released a statement saying they wish to share their horror at the senseless killing of Lee Rigby.

Drummer Rigby’s family recently visited the scene of last Wednesday’s murder, where thousands of floral tributes and messages have been left.

The Adebolajo family said: "Nothing we can say can undo the events of last week.

“As a family we express our profound shame and distress that this has brought to our family.

“We send our heartfelt condolence to Lee Rigby's family and loved ones.”

Both Adebowale and Adebolajo were arrested on suspicion of Drummer Rigby’s murder.

Adebowale was further arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer.

An attack on a prison guard in HMP Full Sutton in Yorkshire on Sunday has been linked to the 25-year-old soldier’s murder.

Three male prisoners, believed to be Muslim, took a male warder hostage and left him with a broken cheekbone.

So far, ten people have been held by detectives investigating the soldier's death

These include a 50-year-old man, arrested on Monday, who was released on bail on Tuesday.

A 22-year-old man arrested in Highbury, north London, on Sunday and three men detained on Saturday over the killing have all been released on bail, as has a fifth man, aged 29.

Two women, aged 29 and 31, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder but later released without charge.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.