Non-league matters: Manchester misery for FA Cup hopes… Stockport’s dream over and Hyde walloped again

By Arandeep Singh Dhillon & Tom Paterson

There was misery all around for the Manchester clubs in FA Cup third-qualifying round over the weekend as Hyde’s miserable run of form in the Skrill conference continued.

Stockport’s FA Cup dream ended after they lost 1-0 to Premier Division side Rushall Olympic at Edgeley Park on Saturday.

Having been on an impressive run of form with three wins on the bounce, Alan Lord’s men struggled to make an impact and it took a stunning 30-yard free-kick from Jimmy Turner to settle matters.

“I’m quite happy to take all the plaudits that were going on the last couple of weeks, but equally I have to stand up and say at some point that I got that wrong,” said Lord.

“I put a team on the pitch and I take full responsibility. The players didn’t perform but it’s down to me at the end of the day, I didn’t get it right.”

Garry Vaughan’s Trafford side fared no better as they were beaten 4-2 at Corby Town.

After going two goals behind, Shelton Payne from the penalty spot and then Lewis Lacy levelled for the visitors before half-time until two Corby goals after the break sealed the win.

Ashton United went one goal up through Kayde Coppin but the home side then rallied to go 3-1 up before Carlos Logan pegged one back, only for Richard Wesley to put the game beyond doubt for Stamford.

Meanwhile Curzon Ashton’s run ended in disappointing fashion as they were defeated 3-0 at Stourbridge. Ryan Lowe, Jamie Oliver and Luke Benbow were on the scoresheet as the Southern Premier Division side outclassed John Flanagan’s troops.

Scott McNiven’s Hyde endured another miserable day as they were thumped 4-1 by Luton Town, making it their eighth straight Skrill Premier defeat.

The Tigers, who have failed to score for six matches, finally got off the mark but it came from an own goal by Steve McNulty and they managed only two shots on target from their nine attempts.

“We didn’t defend properly and that’s not good enough when you come to a place like Luton,” said McNiven.

“You’ve got to, first and foremost, defend properly and the two goals we conceded within 10 minutes of the second half just killed us really.”

In the Evo-Stik Premier Division, Kings Lynn Town and FC United of Manchester played out a 0-0 draw in Norfolk.

Mossley and New Mills produced a six-goal thriller in the First Division North at Seel Park.

Michael Fish put the visitors ahead after 21 minutes only for Charlie Anderson to level six minutes later.

New Mills then raced into a 3-1 lead before half-time after strikes from Daniel Grimshaw and Carlos Meakin.

However, after the break Peter Band’s men began to dominate possession and a double from Douglas Carroll ensured the points were shared.

Image courtesy of Henry Bottomley via WikiMedia Commons, with thanks.

For more on this story and many others, follow Mancunian Matters on Twitter and Facebook.

Related Articles